28 October 2010

Airports

Airports captivate me. I mean it seems like it is the central waiting point for everyone. Everyone there is waiting to come or go somewhere. Ther's really nothing to do and nowhere to go before your flights is ready. You sit there, maybe do some work, reread last night's texts, or you sort of slouch in your chair like a zombie and stare into space. It's impossible not to notice a million things around you, and honestly, the surge of new people is both thrilling and depressing. You might meet the love of your live, your new best friend, or someone else that will have a huge impact on your life. Or you could get lost in the crowd forever. You see strangers, you wonder where they're from, where they're going, and what is their motivation for making this journey. The airport is a place for travelers and perpetual motion. Inside an airport there is so much living going on, and so many trips being taken physically, spiritually and emotionally. Not only are you a witness to these journeys, but you too, are embarking on a journey.

Waiting at an airport you know that beyond the gates, beyond the clouds everyone is waiting. Some are hesitating, some are wishing for time to speed up. Some people don't even know what they are waiting for. Maybe it's because waiting is comfortable because we all know what it is like. People here are content, some are entirely discontent with their entire lives. Some people love waiting because it gives them a break, others hate it because it gives their mind time to wander. Some people are tired of waiting. They dislike the unknown.

Airports are formulaic. They're process oriented and not meant to entertain. Waiting is common all around the world. Waiting in Rome is exactly the same as it is waiting in Seattle, or New York City. It's no reason to wish the time away though. Boredom is your own fault. It is fueled by your desire to be somewhere else and doing something else.

Why would you want to fast forward hours or even minutes? Even I'm guilty of that day dream. I've wanted to just get to my destination as soon as possible, and just bypass the journey. I'm not proud of that day dream. I don't want to wish my life away, the days and seconds that I would wish away will be far too valuable down the road. I cannot plan my last day, I could pass into eternity in a hundred years or tomorrow. I need to appreciate the time I have been given because it is not something I can count on always being there.

Yes, airports are difficult places to truly be present in the moment, but if you refuse to try to live in the current world, then you are cheating yourself. I'm tired of waiting zombie-like. I am sick of wishing I was there already. I want to be able to see the surrounding beauty without having to pull on my rose colored glasses.

I mean, this is my life. I am who I want to be, and my life is dictated by a series of choices I make and my reaction to surrounding environmental incidents.

No comments:

Post a Comment