20 September 2010

Sign

One thing that’s become a big part of my life recently is learning sign language. I don’t know why this language has taken a hold of me so strongly. I think it’s partly because I’m expressive to begin with, and that is what that language calls for, but it’s also because it’s such a beautiful language. There are signs that describe the actual meaning of the words better than just spoken words ever could. Take “pity”. When you say “pity” in sign language, you keep your hands open, but only brush your middle fingers on your heart. You then take that movement from you heart to motion your hands to the person whom you feel pity for. Is there a better interpretation of pity? Sign language is an expression of a language that hearing people can’t understand until they watch someone talk in sign. It’s almost a dance, a dance of our usual lives, just made much more expressive and beautiful. I don’t know, I guess it’s also because the deaf community is looked on as stupid, “dumb”, can’t understand anything. But sadly, they can see things that are wrong with the world much better, because they don’t have to listen for it, they only see. And how can we truly see when we are so deafened by sound?

I encourage all of you to watch this video, because it simbolizes what I feel about sign language. The deaf community do not necessarily want to hear, but they do want the world to change it's views that THEY ARE NOT DUMB!

Go to http://dpan.com/
Click on VIDEOS in the upper left corner
Go down to the third video entitled "Waiting on the World to Change"

No comments:

Post a Comment